Sunday, August 9, 2009

In and around Rising Star Outreach

I am SOOOO sorry that I have not posted to this blog in ages! It's been way too long. It could be the fact that I went out-of-town again (I know, I know, pathetic excuse....it was only for 3 days), but I really think the biggest reason is that it takes SO DANG LONG to upload pictures to blogger that I keep putting it off! Any of you who are my "friends" on facebook should look at my India photos there too. I have posted WAY more there than here as I can upload 200 at a time rather than 4 (blogger won't let me do the usual 5). Sigh.......

So here are some more pics from our amazing week at RSO.


The Mango Grove.....

One of the assignments that we had at RSO, in addition to fixing the children's teeth, was to tutor them. This was done in the mango grove which is located right next to their school. We would take a mat with us and one child at a time would be brought to us. We would spend about 45 minutes with each child helping them in an area that needed a little more concentration - mostly English and Math.


Brooke in the mango grove with one of her students, putting her future Elementary Education degree to work!


One of my adorable students. (Darn, I wish I could remember all of their names! I have a hard enough time remembering English names let alone Indian names.)


A group of students walking by us in the grove, on their way to the coconut grove for their dance lesson.




Suganya, so happy to be learning English!


All finished with their lessons :)


Another of my adorable students.....I wanted to bring each one of them home with me. I'm sure you can see why!


Raegan in-between students, writing up a review on the student she just finished tutoring.


Maimonisha, working hard at writing her English numerals.



Maimonisha again, happy after her lesson.




Lance, thinking he is SO clever to sneak up on and attack unexpecting Raegan with a palm branch. However, she was SO on to him!



The Children....




Suganya.

















Little Peter with an absessed tooth. Ouch! Don't worry, we took care of it :)








On their birthday, the children get to dress up. They also hand out candy to everyone, which this little birthday girl did to us. Doesn't she look pretty?!



Inside their classroom.



Peeking out of their classroom to smile for the camera.



Brooke helping with homework.



Jordan and Karthik looking at the photo she just took of him. The children absolutely LOVED pictures taken of them. Every time we'd get our camera out to take a picture of one child, suddenly there were 10 of them in our picture. They would all come running to get in the picture, then they would immediately want to see the it on our camera!



This little guy had some teeth pulled!










Each morning a child was assigned to sweep the walks. I would wake up every morning to this sound.









3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the pictures of the kids!!! What an incredible adventure...I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me Kris, you DO want to go. A-MAZ-ING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mam/Sir,

    Greetings to you in the name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I am Sister Sunitha Johnson from South India working as an Evangelist and also as a Social Worker. I am an Orphan Child where i was brought up in the hands of a Christian Family who is a great Servant of God. ( Late Rev.Dr. Samuel Johnson). After his death i had dedicated my life to Children Ministry and also in Making the people to Know about Christ. With a great vision from God i had been chosen to go and preach to the untouchables and Dalits in South India. These people sell their Children for feeding themselves and also the grown up girls for prostitution.They worship trees,snakes as God's. With the help of 40 days fasting prayers i had decided to go to these villages and started in preaching the word of god.With the help of god and by his miracles and healing i had saved more than 3000 people and made them to know about Christ.

    Now i am running an home with 200 orphan children and 70 widows and 46 women who are being saved from prostitution.There is no electricity in these villages and also no houses to these people. They live in trees and under the tree itself i had started an worship center where 1000 people attend regularly. They sell their Children for getting water as there are no sources for getting water and they drink very harmful water which is in Black colour. These people are called soya tribe people and you can't find any of the details of these people in the internet as they are called untouchable people and no one knows about these people as they live in remote areas.

    Now by Prayers i would like your team to come and visit our home and bless our works and also to share our works. I had registered an Charity named Open Arms South India in year 2000 with the help of some of my friends as it was an vision to me from God.

    Support us in Giving hope and assurance to the DALIT Orphan Children and to the Poor and with faith i would like you to visit our places and see the real truths of our works in South India and also help them in getting water and help through your Organization

    Hope to hear from you,

    Thank you,

    Sister Sunitha Johnson,
    Ph:+919949632673.

    ReplyDelete